Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Week 2

Thanks for another wonderful class!
I really have to applaud all of you for your enthusiasm and willingness to participate, especially tonight when I know you were all anxious to get home and begin enjoying your extra day off tomorrow.
It is obvious from your questions, responses, and the ideas that you contribute, that you are really focused and are taking the time to really think about what we are trying to share with you, for this we Thank You!

Please plan on teaching a Verb Tense Study with your students next week. Even if your students are still learning what a noun and a verb are, you can use the simple present tense lesson to reinforce those two concepts while teaching them of what a sentence looks like. These students may require a lot of support at first, but they CAN do it! Let us all know how it went and any celebrations or suggestions you may have discovered.

**If you need help finding pictures, check out these websites:
http://compfight.com/
http://www.iconfinder.com/

or my favorite:
Google Images

6 comments:

  1. We have been studying action verbs and past tense verbs. I want to try future tense verbs using the strategy we modeled in class using a photo and chart paper. Also, we'll try syntax surgery with a future tense verb in the sentence.
    I'll let you know how it went when I see you on Wednesday. G. Klees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! As it turns out our Treasures curriculum for this week is focusing on past vs. present tense verbs. I created a chart (just like the one that was up in Linda's room) with the present on one side in a specific color and the past on the other side with the ed in brown. Today I had them create sentences using the verb in both the present and the past and share them with a partner. My kids keep referring to the chart when someone says a sentence in the past or even if they are reading it in a book! I am actually very impressed with this! I am also going to try syntax surgery!

    Bridget Brown

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a lesson similar to the one we did in class using present tense. I teach kindergarten so I didn't have students do the "rest of sentence" part. They just made sentences like "The girl jumps.". Overall, the lesson went very well. They had a hard time coming up with other names for the subject in the picture at first. However, once they got the hang of it they really seemed to enjoy coming up with all sorts of different ways to name the subject. Thanks for the idea! K. Branstrom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done the verb-tense study yet. I feel like I wanted my kids to review nouns and verbs using the color coding. We have been using highlighter tape to color code our morning message. I sent the sheet home with my parents for reference at home. I also reviewed past, present and future using the red, yellow, and green connection. So far, these ideas have been helpful! Jalpa Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been learning about pronouns this week and will be doing our first verb tense study tomorrow. I decided to teach pronouns first so that the students would have a few more options for the subject. I plan to leave off the ROS like Kristi for this activity but I have started color coding my sentences for noun verb and rest of sentence. Most of my students can now tell me that orange is for noun, blue for verb, and green for the rest of the sentence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a verb tense study with my class. I only did the simple present tense, but I think it went really well! I'm glad that I was able to teach them the past/present/future syntax surgery before this lesson because I think having that prior knowledge really helped my students to understand their task.

    ReplyDelete